This crunchy cabbage salad is so good it makes me salivate. There’s something about delicious toasted almond slivers with crunchy sweet cabbage slivers and a smattering of sunflower oil, brown sugar and vinegar that makes my taste buds go completely insane. I love this salad more than chocolate. The fact that it consists primarily of green cabbage is an absolute bonus for health. Whenever I make this sweet crunchy salad it gets showered with compliments like “oh god that is good”, “can I have the recipe ?” “this is really delicious”. This cabbage salad is like the Melbourne Cup champion of salads. If I sound a bit gushy its because I’m a little infatuated and have been for a very long time. I’ve been making this dish for a couple of decades now (god I sound old) and I just adore it as much as ever.
I find it best eaten alone as a main meal, either lunch or dinner, or served as a side dish at a BBQ with family and friends. Yum! I think I have to make it again this week now. I really shouldn’t talk about it too much or I’ll start to drool.
- ½ Chinese Cabbage (Savoy Cabbage)
- 8 Spring Onions (scallions, also known as green onions)
- ½ cup (70 grams) Slivered Almonds - toasted (lightly toast in a dry frying pan or oven)
- ⅓ cup (50grams) Sunflower Seeds - toasted (lightly toast in dry frying pan or oven)
- 80 grams Fried Noodles (Changs Original Fried Noodles in a pack at your supermarket)
- ½ Cup Sunflower Oil almost - slightly less (approximately 120 ml)
- ¼ Cup White Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Soy Sauce
- Optional: ¼ cup carrots julienne (cut into matchstick size pieces) - I add this whenever I have extra time for slicing
- Shred cabbage or chop into slivers - place in a big bowl
- Chop spring onions (Scallions) - place in a big bowl with cabbage
- Pour sunflower oil, followed by brown sugar, followed by vinegar and soy sauce into a glass jar to mix - put on lid and shake it to mix thoroughly when ready to serve.
- Pour oil dressing over cabbage salad mix
- Toss salad lightly
- Add toasted almond slivers, toasted sunflower seeds and Changs Fried Noodles
- Toss salad lightly again.
- Serve and enjoy!
- HOT TIP: For full flavour and full zing: place dressing ingredients in glass jar, but don't shake and mix the dressing ingredients until immediately before serving.
- TIME-SAVER TIP: Some supermarkets sell a bag of fresh pre-chopped cabbage, spring onion and carrot. It saves time on slicing yourself.
Leave a Reply