I have been asked for my Mexican Hasselback Chicken recipe quite a few times now, so I thought I would finally get it up here online. If you like your chicken quick, easy and delicious, then this hasselback chicken recipe is perfect for you! A few minutes to blend the spices, one minute to cut the chicken, one minute to roll the chicken in the spices and place on a lined baking tray, 3 minutes to cut the cream cheese, jam it in the chicken cuts and top with a bit of tasty cheese. That is a total ten minutes preparation time folks!
It really is super easy and super fast – ideal for making at the end of a flat out day.
The leftover bold moreish spice blend goes wonderfully with cheese, and will keep when placed in an airtight small container for next time. The chicken loves being rolled in these spices and soaks up the flavours – the hit is awesome. Although the flavours are big and the chilli is obvious, the cream cheese takes the sharp edge and adds a creaminess that is quite luscious. Of course, you can always reduce the chilli powder a little if you want to and replace it with a little more paprika and onion powder.
The final result is spicy flavoursome creamy tender moist chicken breast. Yum! If I sound a little carried away its because I absolutely love this dish and feel like eating it right now! I like to serve it with a side of broccoli and a side of sweet potato mash.
The cream cheese goes soft and a little gooey and delicious, but it does not melt away at all. I usually pull it out of the fridge just before I use it. This makes it easier to cut more cleanly as well.
- 2 Chicken Fillet Breasts
- 100 grams cream cheese ( I use Philadelphia Cream Cheese)
- Half a cup tasty shredded cheese
- Mexican Spice Blend
- ¾ tablespoon sweet paprika powder
- ½ a tablespoon of chilli powder
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1.5 teaspoons dried coriander leaves
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin seed powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon himalayan salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- (You will have leftover mexican spice powder for future recipes)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Line an oven tray with greaseproof paper
- Mix all the spices together with a spoon or shake so they are well combined
- Make 6 or 7 slits in each chicken breast about ¾ way to bottom.
- Place 4 heaped teaspoons of spice mix on a plate (use more if needed)
- Gently roll breasts in the spice mix to fully coat all chicken & inside the slits
- Place chicken breasts on baking tray
- Cut the cream cheese into enough slices for all slits
- Stuff cream cheese into the chicken slits gently
- Sprinkle tasty cheese on top
- Sprinkle a little more spice blend over top
- Bake in oven for 25 - 30 minutes until cooked.
Note 2: If you want to do extra chicken breasts: You will need 2 heaped teaspoons of spice mix for each breast. Keep the rest of the spice blend in a small sealed glass container for next time
Note 3: This recipe may not be gluten free if you use a commercial taco seasoning mix or other commercially purchased blend.
Leave a Reply