This is what I drink when I want a milkshake without milk. I often call it a Choc Maca Shake, but in reality, it is a smoothie. This delicious Chocolate Maca Smoothie is packed with the goodness of golden flax flakes, maca powder, natural cocoa and banana. It has what I can only describe as a very fresh chocolaty maca taste with a crisp clean cut edge and is totally yummy!
- 250ml Soy Milk or Almond Milk (So Good Regular Soy Milk or use Almond Milk)
- ½ a banana
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 2 tablespoons natural cocoa (no sugar) or raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon golden flax flakes
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (pure/natural)
- 2 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in a strong blender and blend until smooth.
- Calories 248 (add 52 for the maple syrup (MS) to make it 300 cals)
- Sugar 12.7 grams (add 12 grams for MS to make it 24.7 grams)
- Fat 9.5 grams
- Fibre 8.25 grams (half of this comes from the natural cocoa powder)
Benefits of ingredients:
- So Good Regular Soy Milk ( This brand tastes good and is packed with Vitamin D, B12 and Calcium and doesn’t have some of the nasties that other soy milks have). But when I have a chance I often make my own almond milk and use that.
- Maca powder (good source of iron, vit B6, calcium, niacin) Maca powder is known to help support mental and emotional health, and to support hormonal activity, the nervous system and reduce fatigue.
- Golden Flax Flakes (high in omega 3’s and fibre)
- Natural quality cocoa powder (use a brand with minimal processing or ideally natural raw cacao powder) – ability to boost endorphins and good quality natural powders have fibre, a good smack of iron, magnesium, zinc, copper and manganese.
- Banana (high in potassium and antioxidants)
- Maple syrup – natural, no additives (has mineral manganese, has more sucrose than fructose which makes it a much better sweetener than honey for those with fructose malabsorption)