This is a no-cook super easy, quick tomato sauce perfect for pasta, burgers, sausage rolls, steak, or sausages. It is delicious cold or hot. Made with chopped tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, sauteed onion and herbs, it is natural and lip smacking gorgeous. How do I know? Well, for starters, I can eat it cold by the spoonful and want to keep going back for more.
Secondly, I asked the disinterested husband to try it. He took one look at the spoon of cold tomato sauce, screwed up his face and said ‘no thanks, I’ll wait until its heated on the pasta’. After a minute or two of persuasion, he reluctantly agreed to try it. It was a pathetic effort to start with. He grimaced, and put less than a quarter of the teaspoon in his mouth. The grimace then dissolved, eyebrows went up – I detected obvious enjoyment and surprise. Then he dived in and polished off the whole teaspoon of cold tomato sauce looking very pleased. ‘Delicious!’ He concluded.
Now, some husbands or partners or friends might be biased, but mine has no hesitation in saying if he doesn’t like something or if its just ordinary. This is because he knows I will go back and keep trying over and over to get it yummy, and that works in his favor. Anyway, whatever you do, do not skimp on the sundried tomatoes. However, you may certainly add a bit more if you want too.
The beauty of this beautiful thick tomato sauce is that it requires zero cooking, can be made in bulk, and freezes well in small or large servings for when it is required.
PS When I serve it with pasta, I top it with parmesan and herbs or chopped spinach.
- 3 x 400 gram (14 ounce) tins of chopped plain italian tomatoes
- 400 gram (14 ounces) sundried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1 large brown onion chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic - crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons ghee (milkfat) or can substitute for olive oil
- Place the tinned tomatoes and sundried tomatoes in a blender
- Add the parsley with the tomatoes in the blender
- Saute the onion, ghee and garlic for 4 minutes on medium, or until soft
- Add onion mix to the blender with tomatoes
- Blend mixture on high for about 5 minutes or until finely combined
- Mixture should be thick and mostly smooth. Ready to serve!
Freezes well. Portion into suitable amounts for desired purposes and freeze.
PS: If you have zero time, just blend the chopped tomatoes with the sundried tomatoes and serve. It is still delicious!